Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Jon McLaughlin - So Close

I first heard this song while watching the movie Enchanted. I absolutely loved the scene where Robert and Giselle, dressed so elegantly, stepped hand-in-hand into the middle of the remarkable ballroom, then stared into each other's eyes and danced to this very song. Jon McLaughlin himself, as the ballroom singer, sang this song so beautifully and soulfully to accompany their dance. I just couldn't help but get caught and mesmerized by it. The moment of such closeness when they danced, the loving affection that emanates as they gazed unwaveringly into each other's eyes, while dancing ever so gracefully. It was so...incredibly romantic.

Similarly, I think of him affectionately whenever I hear this song. I could almost feel the closeness of our sweet embrace or his breath against my neck. I can imagine the closeness as he places his head against my chest, while holding me tightly, as we continue to dance slowly with this song playing in the background. I feel as if time had stood still, wishing that this moment would never end, and be forever etched and frozen in time. Yes...this is just a romantic fantasy that I have never told anyone...which I now share with all of you, be it my good friends, or strangers alike.

I feel that this song is perfect as well, to bring back all those lovely, wonderful or bittersweet memories of those that you have loved...or have loved and lost. I have to admit...I've cried a few times before, listening to this touching, romantic and sad song. It's about the love that is there...so close and yet, so far.

So, I've decided today to share this special song with all of you. To listen to while you're holding the one that you love the most. To listen to when you think of them fondly. To listen to while remembering all the sweet memories of love in your life. To listen to when you imagine yourself with that special person that you long for.

Here are the lyrics to this beautiful song:

You're in my arms
And all the world is gone
The music playing on
For only two
So close together

And when I'm with you
So close to feeling alive

A life goes by
Romantic dreams must die
So I bid mine goodbye
And never knew
So close was waiting
Waiting here with you
And now, forever, I know
All that I want is to hold you
So close

So close to reaching
That famous happy and
Almost believing
This one's not pretend
Now you're beside me
And look how far we've come
So far
We are
So close...

Oh, how could I face the faceless days
If I should lose you now?

We're so close to reaching
That famous happy ending
Almost believing
This one's not pretend
Let's go on dreaming
Though we know we are
So close
So close, and still
So far...


Song from YouTube (high quality):




The scene from Enchanted:




(Bloody hell, at 4:00, Robert's GF damn kacau daun right?!?)
Anyway, Jon McLaughlin's So Close was one of the Oscar Nominated Songs of 2008.

No comments: