(Requested from a friend, so I've decided to make a post for this)
I generally stay away from fast food, except for the occasional cheat meals. Fast foods are too highly processed and contain a lot of preservatives and additives that cause cancer and damage your heart, liver and kidneys. Fast foods are also very HIGH in calories, sodium, carbs and fat.
But CAN you make better OR healthier choices when faced with fast food? Yes, just follow these simple tips:
1. Choose a burger with a grilled patty. Ask for sauces to be removed and add more vegetables. Look for a small or medium-sized burger to avoid a calorie bomb!
2. Have coffee, tea, water or diet sodas instead. Accompanying real sodas with your fast food will REALLY rack up the calories. Besides, sodas contain a ridiculously high amount of SUGAR!
3. Have pizzas the way Italians do, with a thin crust and plenty of toppings. A thin crust goes a long way in saving you tonnes of calories. Top your pizza with plenty of vegetables and lean meat. Opt for tomato based pizza sauce, which contain high amounts of lycopene, an antioxidant found in tomato that helps to ward off cancer and heart disease. Watch the cheese! Ordering extra cheese means adding more calories, fat and sodium.
4. When making your own sandwich (think Subway) or ordering salads, ditch the creamy sauces. Choose mustard, vinaigrette or olive oil instead. Ask for more vegetables! Remember to choose lean meats for your sandwich or salads.
5. Fries taste great but they are just empty calories, high in trans fat, carbs and sodium. You can save tonnes of calories by not having them with your fast food meal. Order a small one if you want to have it. It'll at least keep your calories in check. Fries are one of those 'once-you-have-one-you-can't-stop' foods. Don't you agree?
6. Having fried chicken? I tend to choose breast meat over wings and drumsticks. Also, remove the skin please.
7. Order plain frozen yogurt for dessert. Any additions (sauces, cookie crumbs etc) will just rack up the calories. Pies are not a very good choice as they are high in fat and sugar.
PS: The pictures are just random and not meant to suggest how you should have your fast food =P