Monday, October 4, 2010

Finally, It's Done

It's time for a move. I just threw the letter on 30 September. I should have done it much earlier, but I needed to get out of my comfort zone. Four years into the job, you're comfortable doing what you do to a certain degree, despite the unfavorable circumstances. No doubt, I'm thankful that I'm able to survive two rounds of VSS and keep earning. However, I can't shake the feeling of being stuck in something that was already at a dead end. In fact, I had already lost any hope of going higher in my third year here. And with that, I felt unappreciated and eventually discouraged.

Ironically, the economic recession decided to reel it's ugly head and employers everywhere reeled in their fishing rods, shutting out any bites until recovery was in place, so I was stuck here into the fourth year. One regret I had was not taking the second VSS which came in December last year. I could seriously use the money and that would have been the perfect spark for me to aggressively pursue a new career. My gut feeling told me to take it, but mum advised against it. Being in the employment field and in a HR dept to boot, of course I took her advice. Much to a slight distaste that is.

But what's done is done, and what matters is now. They offered me the job 2 weeks after the interview in August. Somehow, I knew that I would be getting it, as the interview went swimmmingly. What ensued after the job offer call was a month of relentless negotiation on my new salary. I was disappointed at what they were offering (still am), even though it was little improvement. Long story short, I decided to take up the new job for two obvious reasons; distance, and higher basic pay. I'd be back working in Penang island, after 4 years of driving to the mainland. It would definitely save me some time, effort and money.

However, the small boost of income won't be enough to entice me to stay for long, although it's what they're offering in probation. HR claimed that there would be a salary increase after probation ends but who knows how much it would be. It could just be a insignificant blot of cash, and I'm leaning towards that since negotitations was an epic fail. They couldn't even meet me halfway on my expected. I even turned down the new HR's offer to buy me off from my current company, as that would include a 1 year bind in my contract. No can do, if I don't get a good income boost after the probation, don't expect me to stay behind. It takes two to tango. Why should I give you what you want, when you don't even try to satisfy my needs? I'll give it a year at best. If nothing gets better, this will just be another stepping stone and I can demand more at my next job.

DON'T question me about loyalty. I have bills and other commitments to pay.

10 comments:

cookiedonut said...

oh my.

maybe the raise is going to be high... its always better to have hopes =)

Mark said...

You mean in new or current job?

ichimaru akira said...

loyalty is so overrated when it comes to careers.At the end of the day,the employers are not going to pay our bills

Marky's Little Devil said...

who cares about loyalty when your own employer cant even save your ass right?

Yay! Gong's gonna work in island ady :D

simonlover said...

Good luck in ur future job ya! I'm also facing the same predicament like you at the moment. I'm just waiting for the salary/remuneration negotiations before tendering the letter..Though it still need 3mths to be enforce. Hmmm...Very scared to leaving our comfort zone eh?! Scary indeed.

cookiedonut said...

i mean the new job

Anonymous said...

I love your last line. Don't question me about loyalty. I have bills and other commitments to pay. I'm going to use that when I need it. Hahaha!!!

carpe diem said...

Your new employer don't seem to be very compromising one. Sounds very rigid. All the best.

William said...

Things at my end starting to come undone... time to find an alternative too.

Unknown said...

everyone's looking for a new job haha.




[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot